Friday, October 21, 2011

Getting Down To Business

Can one purchase privilege? A debate of ethics in the first instance. Recently I discovered the price of buying privilege. Not a new concept says anyone. The extent of the advantages traded for dollars intruded on my concepts of social parity. How naive was I when Business Class tickets were purchased? I had considered the additional cabin space attached to the ticket price and the different onboard cuisine too, to justify the expense. At times the travel on long haul flights can be so uncomfortable that the traveller arrives at their vacation destination feeling like a battery hen. When released from the confinement of the economy class travel space the body requires time to recover. Recent Business Class travel revealed the numerous benefits of paying for concessions. Business Class passengers have additional baggage allowances and they queue in especially designated carpeted lines to check in. Red carpets or blue carpets appear to be the norm. Red for First Class and blue for Business Class ticket holders. Often they can check in earlier than the displayed 'Gate Open' times. In addition, the Business Class guest usually has access to a serviced lounge area where beverages, food, showers, toilets, reading materials, WiFi and television are freely available. A most welcome and thoughtful gratuity for the additional price of the ticket. Express lanes for the Business Class commuters through security and immigration. I was beginning to understand scope of and the leverage of the dollar. In Business Class I was greeted by name and shown to my cubicle by a smiling attendant. There, in the cubicle, I grasped all that my ticket had purchased. Leg room was greatly appreciated and so too the fold down bed. Additional pillows, white linen for each meal, extensive menu options for each dining experience and real cutlery. What more could I want? Bolinger was presented by cabin crew prior to take off and my drink order requested and noted for when we were airborne. Noise cancelling headsets were distributed and upgraded fabric wallets containing socks and eye shades for sleeping. Quality of each slightly different to those made available in Economy Class seating. Don't misunderstand my appreciation for the luxuries that I enjoyed in Business Class. The table space, the reclining sleeping position, the large flat screen, the additional stowage space allocated to my cubicle was highly valued. The five course meals of exceptional standard and delightfully presented were tempting to the palate. I got what I paid for; yes, indeed I did and more. For the flights of just over 7 and 11.5 hours challenge the body when made consecutively and Business Class attempted to accommodate my every need. Whimsical thoughts now. I was feeling more unequal than other travellers. Greedy luxurious travel-spoilt in every way. I'll ponder not my rights nor the cost for I am sitting jet lagged at the computer wondering why I am awake in the middle of the night. Couldn't my dollar purchase a remedy for jet lag? Finally, I felt equal to all those who travel in Economy Class. Jet lag shows no favours for dollars. Thank you, I think. My social conscience is reinstated. Not sure what ticket that I'll buy for my next overseas adventure.

2 comments:

  1. You are right Kerry, the luxury must have been wonderful as well as the space, food and express service, but... as you say, jet-lag doesn't discriminate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I still wouldn't mind trying business or first class out!!

    ReplyDelete