Saturday, January 15, 2011

Off To Queensland Soon

Stephen and I have flights booked to Queensland later this month and I am excited to catch up with family who have been caught up in the floods. When I hear recounts of the days of isolation leading up to the major storm event I begin to gain a little insight into the situation. The Toowoomba scenario that unfolded on television screens across the world went into the homes of others who were waiting and watching storm water rising in their own backyards and communities. Such images captured in real time by all forms of electronic and digital media spread the news of the dire plight of all those involved. In some instances the intolerable wait for the inevitable flooding; while others were struck by walls of uninvited and totally unexpected torrents of water. I expect to see reminders of the floods not only on the landscape but also in the faces of the people who have survived them. How refreshing it is to know that total strangers are arriving in streets in affected neighbourhoods and lending a hand. Wish that I could be helping too but I also realise that travel to Grandchester would be challenging since so much infrastructure is damaged and routes may be precarious. I am also cognisant that the hire car is not 4WD and at the moment that would be essential for me to make the journey to Grandchester. A further issue seems to be the availability of food as the local supermarkets were completely inundated. To travel as a tourist so soon seems selfish in this matter, as families must be challenged to shop for basic necessities. Somehow it doesn't seem appropriate to be adding to the burden of the local population at this time. I plan to do a spot of fishing in one of the dam's on the property. Who knows what I'll catch? I understand that during the storm tide fish swam in the driveway so I am keen to see fish that swim in driveways.

No comments:

Post a Comment