Monday, January 10, 2011

Flood Waters

At this point in my day I am sitting at my computer terminal with an ever watchful eye on the Queensland, weather, radar screen. Yet another huge storm has hit at Kirstie's home. Her home that is already isolated by flood waters remains on evacuation alert. She and Michael have packed ready to leave their home as necessary. The SES is aware of their situation and plans to evacuate if the water rises to the floorboards. A stream of telephone calls have been exchanged all morning. Michael has surveyed their property and they can go no where as they had planned. It was hoped that they may have been able to move to higher ground. A lightning strike was so close to them in this latest storm that they saw smoke. As a precaution they switched off all electricity to the house. Anxious minutes seem like hours as I wait. I realise that many metres of deep and swift flowing water prevents anyone from entering or leaving the property. Kirstie and Michael mentioned that one of the water tanks not connected to the house has floated away. Belongings in the shed have been water logged and ruined by the rising water. It is reassuring to know that both Kirstie and Michael are calm and seem to have approached this situation with due recognition and appreciation of the perils of flash flood waters. The one thing that they don't have is milk. Milk for their coffee would be most welcome. I suggested a small teaspoon of ice cream but unfortunately they only have a supply of mango sorbet. Perhaps if they remain isolated long enough they will be tempted to give it a try. Interesting question that I shall ask after the present situation has resolved is - 'What did you pack in preparation for an evacuation?' I started to wonder what I would pack if I was in the same position.

2 comments:

  1. It might interst you to know I did not even have a bra on until the real possibility that a helicopter might be required. Obviously underwear is not the first thing you think of when evacuating

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pack light when flying in a helicopter. Just a little hand luggage would be all that is possible.

    ReplyDelete