Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fishing

In preparation for the visit to Grandchester a purchase was made of a collapsible fishing rod. I was excited to catch some of the fish that I had heard about that had been swimming in the driveway at the height of the flood. I had resisted the urge to open the fishing kit until I unpacked in Queensland. What I found was truly interesting. There was a huge range of slimy, bright, coloured lures. Some appeared to be white bait in style, a couple of prawn-like shapes, worms, maggots, feathery gizmos and other things that I am yet to identify. That said, it was fun rigging the rod and attaching a small prawn lure to the hook. My casting was a little rusty and I appear to have a golf-type slice to the right when I cast the line. I delighted in the battle with the weeds that grew both above and below the water line. Once hooked the plan was to safely navigate the weeds without losing the hook, line or sinkers. The arching rod, just like a fish might pull when biting, reminded me what if was like to actually hook a real fish. Dream on. This fishing adventure will have to be a rehearsal for another day and I can only anticipate better luck next time. In conjunction with the fishing was the placement of a small net in the dam and baited with slices of quality ham where it was hoped we'd catch some yabbies. Well, the outcome was - ham gone, perpetrator gone. Fisherman (woman) nil and livestock one. Fish win this time but I will live to fish another day! The law of averages should eventually go my way. It's a good thing that I am not a gambling person.

No comments:

Post a Comment