Friday, December 3, 2010

The Last day


Friday was a busy to be so I woke just after 4:30 to get myself organised for the day. I had laid out my Santa suit the night before so that I'd be sure that there were no signs of Santa suit meltdown. When you only wear an outfit once or twice a year one should expect the occasional wardrobe malfunction. I was a little wary of the beard as when I had dragged the Santa suit bag from the cupboard I was covered in the whitest of fluff, presumably from a beard that was in the process of unravelling. (No doubt from the stress of Christmas past.) Next dilemma; should I wear the suit to work to avoid the issue of trying to change in the staff toilet without the benefit of a full length mirror? No. I was to be brave. I had decided to risk driving the 7 kilometres to work in the wild hope that I'd not encounter a policeman doing random breath tests or the like. As it is Summer the humidity is higher than comfortable for people donning the odd Santa suit; regardless I pressed on or more correctly I 'dressed on.' Gifts in the boot of my car and it was only a bit before 7:00am. Seems crazy to sit around at home all dressed up and no place to go so I went to work. Friday was the staff's annual Christmas breakfast that was to be cooked by none other than our wonder chef, Greg. Safely parked, not long after 7:00, I wondered why the carpark was almost empty. Cleaning staff noticed my arrival and came to greet me. perhaps they just wanted to tell santa what they wanted for Christmas. No matter, I was a Santa on a mission with gifts to place on desks before too many arrived. Next, off to the library. Breakfast for forty. Air conditioned space so aptly chosen. Chef Greg arrived so I did my best not to hinder his organisation too much. Others had arrived and also made their way to the library. You could see the eager look in their eyes. Not just the breakfast offerings but this was our last work day before the vacation. Massive year and well deserved break for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment