Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Charles de Gaulle Airport

Why have I posted a picture of Singapore Airport when I am writing about CDG? Read on. Left the hotel at 8:30 and felt buoyant that we were headed homewards. I had not expected that Charles de Gaulle would be so very, very ordinary. Passport was shown to enter the line to join the check in queue. It was shown again to another person part way along that line and next at the actual check in desk. Singapore airlines is swift and pleasant in its service delivery. Considered shopping as we still had a few hours before our flight. Hmmm. What made me think that shopping opportunities would match those found in other International Airports that we have visited? Mistake number one for the day. Breakfast, second mistake of the day. We had not had breakfast at the beautiful Radisson as we thought it would be one way of spending some of the time we had prior to departure. Kiosk on one floor was shared by workmen grinding and or welding. The fumes throughout the area were overwhelming so just a quick coffee and croissant. Search for a quieter space. Third mistake of the day. Okay. three strikes and you are out or so I presumed. So off to security check. Shoes off, watch off, camera and laptop removed from bags. I pipped the security lights. Why? Not really sure. I was pad searched twice and asked to show under my shirt. It gets worse as the pad search officer then decided to pull at the waistband of my jeans and peer down. So public; more than slightly uncomfortable. She was so efficient in exposing and padding every private space on my body and she then just walked away. Was I her day's entertainment? She had done this to many others in the line and left them similarly vulnerable. I was left standing bewildered while she walked away. If you have a choice of airport I would not recommend Charles de Gaulle for its many interesting characteristics. Happy traveller????? Just passed through security at Singapore airport and had no unpleasant padding down, no invasions of privacy in a public space. Congratulations Singapore Airport! See the picture. Calm, quiet and orderly. Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. We watched every single one of the air hostesses on our flight get the same thing done to them and they wear tight little dresses, so it was obvious they werent hiding anything. Humiliating in front of the whole plane of guests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Sorry, but previous comment deleted due to unfortunate and misleading typo)

    Sometimes people forget how human you are. That was disgusting treatment but I hope it didn't sour your experience of France too much. It was, after all, just an airport, nothing to do with real France.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean, I was most uncomfortable with the over zealous manner of the security officer and sadly it has left a lasting memory. After lifting my shirt, (as asked,) to reveal that I had nothing secreted under my clothing I considered that to be sufficient public exposure. But to have her tug at the waistband of my jeans and peer down my back and front I am still not sure what it was she thought I was concealing; especially since she walked away without further comment or remark. I was still standing with my arms outstretched (as required by the officer) and sought permission to move. She had already moved on and I was left unsure of what to do next. Finally, with everyone watching I moved towards seats at gate 16. Strikes, protestors, and fuel shortages changed our travel plans so often I have had an interesting holiday. The security check point was the last straw for me. I never wanted to leave France close to tears but indeed I did!

    ReplyDelete