Saturday, June 5, 2010

Take a Seat ... Where would you like to sit today?

This afternoon as I went outside to watch the black clouds building yet again over the hills and I wondered if it was going top rain again all week so that we'd be stuck sitting inside. It occurred to me that we have many places to sit outside in our garden. Some seats are rustic in nature, having been made for me by Stephen, while others of aluminium or plastic are stationed to capture the view, to avoid the sun, to catch a breeze or to accommodate a large gathering. There are aluminium, seats in the little courtyard behind the pool so placed so as to be able to sit in the cool shade to escape the summer heat. Cushions top a number of the bench seats to protect one's rump from the cold, hard, wood and perhaps the odd red back spider. You can check out the neighbour's three cows if you choose this seat but be warned that they are hand fed at about three each day and they come looking and mooing well before that, each calling for their tubs of delights. I wonder if they'd be so hungry if they knew behind their names hides a gloomy future. Should we name what we eat? Dilemma for me but not our neighbours. One is called Hamburger and another Offal. Not sure about the third cow. Sorry, I digress. The bench seats allow the 'sitter' to actually sit amongst the flowers or foliage. I was trying to decide if I had a favourite seat when I realised that a favourite seating arrangement depends on one's need to sit and most importantly, the day's weather. When I took my camera to the yard to collect images of our seats I noted the different characteristics of each. If you sit on the old sleeper seat by the bay tree and you look up, you see the that nearby stands a neighbouring tree stripped of its leaves that were so beautifully coloured only a few weeks ago. If I walk back towards the pergola we have another bench (with old cushions) upon which to sit and it allows one to gaze at the distant hills. Just behind that bench is a more comfortable assortment of seats with a table upon which one can rest one's coffee. We added red geraniums to the terracotta pots here last week before the rain set in. There is an old stencilled, concrete block seat in the pool area. It's strong and sturdy and allows the bather to sit and drip dry in summer. At the other end of the pool enclosure we see another traditional black, aluminium ensemble for the water shy among us to retreat from the splash and spray of zealous bathers or the dreaded Marco Polo swimmers of yesteryear. No one seems to sit on the seats inside the pool area once the sun has set on summer. Too cold, too bleak to watch the water and guess at its chill. For those who prefer the indoors there are two, high-backed, wooden seats beside an old wine barrel in the pool room. Everyone has heard of the text, The Man For All Seasons. I think that perhaps we have the chair for all seasons. As I wait for the chair pics to upload I am thinking about all the other seats that we house. We have 6 lounges inside and plastic, chair stacks sitting idle in the cubby (AKA the wine cellar), waiting for the next family or neighbourhood function to again see the light of day. When does a person know if they have too many chairs? Enough with the rhetoric. I have made one decision; and it is that I definitely prefer chairs with arm rests.

1 comment:

  1. We dont have many seats in our house anymore. You may need to bring a few or help me make some when you come up. My $20 recliner with nana hankies shoved up it is the most popular seat in our house. After I go to bed Michael and the kitties can be found there. They aren't allowed to sit in it any other time.

    ReplyDelete