Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Collections

Why do we collect what we do? I have a collection of some bottles that I keep in the kitchen. Not just any bottle. Each has its own charm. Blue bottles are probably my favourite as light or sun that shines through them shoots random bands of colour across the walls. A number of bottles have a unique shape while others are tall and slender with unusual markings or patterns decorating their outer face. Some people collect silver spoons but I once had an encounter with one such collection and spent many hours polishing each with silver cleaner so I avoid labour intensive collectibles now. People collect recipe books, magazines, buttons, pictures, shoes, hats and so forth. Come to think of it we have a rather large assemblage of hats on the rack in the pool room. Western hats, Mexican hats, cowboy hats, elegant broad brimmed hats and there is even a hat with orange, fake hair attached. That particular hat has Scottish ancestry. Hats left, given or found. My daughter has a huge collection of shoes. Each pair is housed in its original box and there is a shoe of every hue tucked within those cardboard homes. I won't grumble about that collection as we have the same shoe size and I am granted permission to borrow any depending on my attire. I wonder if any of us collectors are aware of how the urges began? The first object doesn't a collection make. Subsequent additions don't either or do they? It's really rather remarkable that people are probably not cognisant of the humble beginnings of a collection. CD, video, DVD's collections are commonplace. Are collections given, bequeathed or found? Do you have a collection?

No comments:

Post a Comment