Saturday, July 2, 2011

Families


Families are often full of interesting combinations of characters and personalities but today I was beginning to question the 'norms' of the one in which I find myself. Let me explain. One of my daughter's has recently become engaged to a fine young man, who, for all intensive purposes, appears to be 'normal.' As I was leaving to go shopping this afternoon the same 'normal' young man was making his way to the garage with a large, bright yellow, lego container. It was round in shape and it had eyes and a mouth stencilled onto its surface. In Sam's other hand he held a newly purchased electric saw. He was grinning enthusiastically and mentioned that he was going to wear the lego container this evening. I pride myself on my flexible attitude when it comes to quirky ideas but for one moment I did pause as I placed my hand on the car's handle and wondered if I should stay and watch or slip away unnoticed before an ambulance was required. OH&S hat on, if you'll pardon the pun, I suggested that he remember to use safety glasses when cutting the brittle plastic. My husband located the safety glasses and we reversed casually down the drive. Shopping expedition concluded and there was Sam to greet us and all so keen to demonstrate how he would be wearing the lego container that now resembled a helmet of sorts. Eating and drinking will be challenging as I pointed out to Sam. He noted that a straw may be useful. Blog world I must ask, "Is my family normal like yours?"

No comments:

Post a Comment