Saturday, June 11, 2011

Umbrellas and Gumboots

Weather forecasters had predicted some serious weather for the long weekend and the water streaming down my yard suggests 100% accuracy for the meteorologists. Rain showers yesterday were intermittent and nothing more than passing moments. However, last night heavier showers developed and the cloud has set in over the valley hanging like dense, grey, fairy floss over the hills. The series dams on the neighbouring property are all overflowing and gently spilling like a water feature from one to the other. Pelicans in formation are retreating overhead. A single kangaroo and her joey brave the wet and continue to graze well past the fence line. My feet squelch on the grass down to the creek and I consider that it would be fun to be tromping about in my new gumboots. I resist the urge as I like that they still shine and are not yet scarred with smears of mud. The lemon tree loaded with fruit beckons an eager hand and a bucket to tote the crop up to the house. Perhaps chef, Stephen may have a use for them later. He has been preparing lunch for some hours. Watercress soup sits on the stove top simmering and tormenting the hungry to wait just a bit longer. Tapas for the other courses include-cubes of salmon fillets, chat potatoes, salt and pepper squid and to complete the experience spaghetti and meatballs. Meanwhile I realise that winds have arrived shaking the water from the leaves on the trees, as might a dog after a bath. As I blog I become aware of a new cooking smell weaving its way to me from the kitchen. What is it? Some kind of spice? Familiar but different.

No comments:

Post a Comment