Friday, June 17, 2011

No Candles For This Party

I didn't know until last night that one could get three bars on their Eftpos machine in my kitchen but only two in the computer room. Who would have guessed at such a dilemma on a cold Friday night in June? Those from contemporary culture were accustomed to shopping for needs either via a shop front or online. Last night I had the pleasure of neither as I had a shoe party come to my kitchen. More correctly it came to the dining room, the computer room, the lounge-room and the kitchen. No flat surface was safe from the vast displays of shoes, boots, bags and scarves. My daughter had organised for 18 friends to come to the event. A shoe party was definitely unlike a Tupperware party. There was no relaxed banter prior to the sales pitch. There was no individual product hard sell. No inane party games. I knew when the first ladies to arrive, dropped their bags and raced to the the displays that they were more accustomed than I, to such events. It was as if they had queued for hours for the right to be first through the doors for the best bargains. Socked and stockinged feet soon resounded across the tiles and carpet. Stilettos so high that I could have requested of the wearers 'to please grab those spider webs' hiding on the overhead beams. However, I realised that I would have dallied with death had I interrupted the intense lacing, zipping, pushing and pulling from their tasks. I had pre-ordered from the online, catalogue a simple ankle boot for casual wear. My tastes basic and simple, compared to the shoes showcased. One young guest/shopper was intent of purchasing shoes for Melbourne Cup Day in November. Another happy shopper, boots for a holiday in Europe (next year.) My memories of Tupperware parties that I had attended in the olden days were always accompanied by platters of food and often wine or bubbles. I was pleased to note that this tradition had survived the cultural revolution. One could partake of sustenance before making the next trial run down the hall or around the lounge-room in dangerously high shoes or boots without spilling a single drop wine or bubbles from their glass. Bravo. I say. The new generation of young people certainly have sole. No heels too high and no price too expensive! No orders! Eftpos was conveniently available right from the comfort of my kitchen. I can't wait for the next party. I can't quite imagine what will be sold from my dining room table next but it promises to provide an evening's entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment