Saturday, April 2, 2011

Thank you for coming when I cooked dinner ...

Traditional, classic, old fashioned, customary, out-of-date, outmoded, outdated are probably the best synonyms to describe my particular culinary, style of cooking. Not adventurous in any way but it is also fair to say less flair, less fuss and it allows me to enjoy the cooking experience since recipes and I don't see eye to eye. I always ponder the great skill and ability of others able to successfully recreate a delicacy that looks just like the picture in the cook book. I am convinced that such people function on a plain different to myself. The pictures suggest that one will be tantalised as one partakes of the image now plated before them. However, consider this for a moment. The traditional requires no recipe or coloured photograph so the final product cannot be compared with a glossy image. Secret to my style of cooking no one really knows what to expect when I am doing dinner. Past misdemeanours such as brown sugar for bread crumbs. At the time I believed it to be a common enough mistake but family members on that occasion didn't seem to agree. Hence, who will know whether my final products worked or not? That is my preferred position when serving my dinners to family and friends as I have in previous years discovered my limitations when it comes to making and baking. Usually I don't remember to put some vital component on to cook as the prescribed time so as to be ready with other accompaniments. So often my husband kindly rescues me and pops the potatoes in to bake just in the nick of time. I must be like his apprentice. He nurtures and gently reminds. It almost happened again the other evening. I was chatting and partaking of the before dinner platter that I once more forgot the vegetables for roasting until they were at risk of being served too al dente. Guests were kind enough to remark that they liked their carrots al dente. So gracious. To mention that I thought that I was roasting lamb but as it turns out it was indeed pork. What a surprise! It tasted fine with the only gravy that I know how to make. I use the KISS method for making gravy. Keep it simple st.... - wholegrain mustard, a splash of red wine and a heaped, wooden spoon of gravy powder with a dash of water to make the paste, lump free. Roasting capsicum, potatoes, slim eggplants and carrots in olive oil and sprinkled with rock salt, too easy; as long as you remember to put them in the oven. Home baked apple pie served with berries, ice cream and double cream also easy. Please note the fancy decorations on top of the apple pie. Who would like to join me for dinner when I am cooking?

1 comment:

  1. You are quite adventurous and I wouldn't call your style old fashioned, because that would imply that in the olden days everyone used brown sugar instead of bread crumbs or nacho cheese doritos on tuna. I would call your style scrap-booking, because it brings in so many different ideas into every dish to create a visual montage of food ideas and each dish looks scrummy (even if it does have brown sugar).

    ReplyDelete