Sunday, April 17, 2011

Who will notice?

When Stephen went to work today the bush saw was in my thoughts for I had decided to remodel the garden that leads to the side, entry door. I had chatted to him re the possibility of taking out the old conifer eyesore for it was browning from top to bottom. Our latest discussion noted that tree loppers could remove it when they came to take the Cocos Palms. As I had been in the garden all of last week I considered the ease with which I might tackle the tragic specimen of a conifer. The first branch was sawed without too much difficulty and so too the second. Only one last branch left standing and I was determined to take it all. How challenging could it be? After all, the first two were a breeze. Hindsight is a good thing. I guess that I should buy myself a lottery ticket for I am indeed the luckiest gardener in Windella. As I was happily sawing the biggest and thickest remaining trunk (I mean branch,) it fell. Yes, it fell all by itself; towards the house and the windows. I stopped breathing for a moment as I realised that this branch required no additional tugging or encouragement to come down. As if filmed in slow motion the tree dropped silently to the gravel walkway. Whew. It missed by that much! A small stump is all that remains to tell the story. To fill the gaps and to divert attention I've strategically placed some of the potted fountain grasses. Who will be the first to notice?

No comments:

Post a Comment