Sunday, April 17, 2011

Dam Rain

www.bom.gov.au suggested that our area was to have between 10 and 40 mm of rain on Friday. By Friday lunch time I was quietly scanning the sky for clouds hoping that the anticipated rain would eventually make its way to our yard. When no rain transpired I guessed that the bureau's forecast was off the mark for there was no rain on my umbrella. That was Friday. The new neighbour's were probably disappointed too that the forecasted rain didn't make its way to Windella. Last week the neighbours had two of the property's dams deepened and cleared of reeds. A good idea to protect against water shortages next Summer. The dam closest to our fence line was reduced to a small pond for not a trickle fell to boost its capacity. Then on Saturday morning as I was leaving to shop a few light drops of rain drops splashed on to the windscreen. By the time that I had travelled to Hexham and thence, to Salamander, the pavement was awash and huge walls of water were thrown by passing motorists. Sheets or rain drenched the roads all the way there and back. The journey was particularly scary as visibility was limited. At times the car's wheels seemed to float across the tar before regaining traction. All day long torrential rain showers reinstated my opinions of the accuracy of the weather bureau's forecasts. Sorry guys. On Sunday morning the downpours gave way to isolated falls. The point of my story is, that the pond over the fence, had, in 24 hours, transformed into the dam that I knew when I first moved here over twenty years ago. According to http://www.bom.gov.au/ 75.8mm of rain fell here on Saturday. Good rain for the dam.

No comments:

Post a Comment