Saturday, July 28, 2012

An Afternoon In Newcastle

Newcastle, great place to spend a Saturday afternoon. First stop the Newcastle Museum. New exhibits and so many interactive science activities. The static displays of artifacts and photographs combine to document the history of Newcastle in a spectacular manner. The exhibition halls have recorded the story of Newcastle's earliest beginnings, its growth to a city and lastly, its contemporary lifestyle enjoyed by so many today. A sense of connection with my own memories of Newcastle as a child and thence, when I returned more than twenty years later as an adult with my own family. A number of the photographs allowed me to reacquaint myself with memories almost forgotten. From my childhood, the famous Hunter Street drives with my own parents and the brief interruptions to the journey while we stopped for a milkshake remind me of the overwhelming change that has occurred since those bygone days. However, the tragic event of the Newcastle Earthquake is etched in my mind as I hark back to the day where I rang for hours on end seeking information about the safety of friends who lived by the beach not far from the city's centre. For six long hours I attempted to call them with little success to check on their safety. The events that unfolded that day still fresh in my mind. If seeking a nostalgic afternoon with a smattering of hands on science then the museum is a winner for all age groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment