Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mothers' Day Torture

Coffee and poached eggs made for a good start to my day along with the freshly cut apricot roses. Such a sweet perfume from the delicate roses. Table set for lunch. Browsed through my gift from Stephen and identified some of the bird life that frequents the trees in our garden. Ventured past the spare room and thought that I'd spend a little time on the walking machine. Calm warm up; okay! Feeling good when I spotted a button on the console. Wonder what it did. It was clearly labelled Wellness. Pushed the button. Things started to whirl; incline ramped up to 10. Speed shot up to 6. Timer began counting backwards. So this is the Wellness button's torture. Just when I had accommodated speed changes, incline changes little red bars danced up and down at the top of the screen. Wondered what they indicated but since the Wellness button surprise I did not press anything else just in case. Not one to give up I stood there for the long haul. All thirty minutes of the machines erratic mood swings. I lied. I just remembered I did press another button - Fan. It had a high and low setting which was good as I was beginning to melt. Obviously this was a machine of mass destruction; necessary to elicit a sense of well being or I should say Wellness. Stephen interrupted my torture to seek my interest in his freshly baked blueberry muffins and a cappuccino outside in the sun. Managed to nod briefly while scanning the machine's screen. Count down to zero almost complete. STOP. Oh, now I understand. It's not until you press STOP that you finally enjoy a sense of wellness. There are three other buttons but I can wait to discover what surprises hide behind those technological curiosities. I did however achieve a massive 203.5 calorie burnoff. Hope that is good. Not sure. So I'm off to eat a blueberry muffin. Just a small one.

1 comment: