Sunday, April 25, 2010

To Be Or Not To Be?

When is it time to reassign the childrens' cubby? All four of our children are now adults so it must be time to rethink the cubby and its purpose for being. One corner houses the wine racks and another space the golfer's retreat. Yet mostly it houses the things, stuff, junk that the children don't want to throw out. Hoarding of things like one shoe of a new pair of joggers. If the other new shoe hasn't been located in the last two years then I'm pretty sure that it never will be found. A deflated, yellow, plastic, midori or rum blow up advertisement sits airless beside a disused wine crushing tub. The tub I'm keeping in case we do happen to grow enough grapes to make our own wine again. Anne and I crushed our first vintage in that big blue tub. It has sentimental attachments. Not so lucky the other plastic thing; its hours are numbered. The wooden doll house and stove I'll treasure for a little while longer. You never know when they'll be needed. What do other people keep, store and much later wonder why? I see the good sense in keeping the spare tiles from past renovation events. I recognise the importance of the desk but the 4 spare wheels, hmmmm. If they are so important then why aren't they on the car? They still have tread and all the key features of tyres. My bath that has sat waiting to be installed in the renovated ensuite is soon moving upstairs to the pool room to be ready for installation. When I reflect I recall that the pool room is similar to the cubby as it too has become a place for storing goods of an undecided fate. Issue is that some items have been waiting for the big call for over a year now. To be or not to be kept? What should be relegated to the dump?

No comments:

Post a Comment