Friday, March 26, 2010

Cheese, Chocolate and Cheer





Tuscany was the first leg of our trip and to make a real memory we had booked an entire villa for the 10 of us. The villa had been beautifully restored but had maintained both its charm and character. It boasted many unique features complete with tower and a shower that you took whilst seated on the loo; but that was good, as the wash basin vanity was also within arm's reach. I digress. Every day the two GPS' argued to guide us to the fascinating medieval towns and villages surrounding Petroio, our home base for 10 days. I recall one morning's expedition where I was browsing outside a shop when I became aware of a particularly pungent smell. The others had gone ahead and were now calling me to join them. As I did I realised that the smell was now a distinct stink. With each step the overpowering odour harassed my senses. What was that smell? It couldn't be the suspect drain in the street as I first thought, so, whence came the smell? The others were very excited about something so I moved to check out at their find. An unusual grey-black mouldy shape had caught everyone's eye. Yes, it was cheese and they wanted to buy some. Speech left me. Just the memory! Fortunately the same people who are renowned for cheese making are also choclate artists. Next, a quaint chocalete laden window front drew our earnest attention. Dilemma! Choices? Too many! If I pick this one I'll miss the chance to try that one. Sensible solution. Each of us would have one and share the vision of its flavour with those seated at the table. Mine was a sculptured cone with deliberate soft, dark chocolate cream nestling within. I struck a pose and held it with suitable reverance so as not to shatter its baked and fragile shield. One bite was all it took to conclude it was a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment