Monday, July 12, 2010

All Spice

Saturday afternoon was one of complete relaxation. I had booked a massage at Spicer's Hidden Vale. We arrived at the resort just as a wedding was about to begin. I dallied for a few minutes; just long enough to catch a glimpse of the bride coming up the paved drive; past the animal nursery (loved the lama along with its beautiful big brown eyes.) The bridal party's coach was magnificent as it drew up to the family and friends who had gathered . However, I digress; no time for shooting, archery, spa, high tea or horse riding straight up and into the massage room where I was met by a friendly young woman. She ushered me into a room where the fragrances, subdued lighting and music created the ideal setting for the next hour of total decadence. So rested and so very relaxed I then had an eyelash tint. Not quiet the lama or Cleopatra look but just what I wanted. I only have such luxuries when I visit Hidden Vale. Despite health recommendations I floated back to the farm where afternoon wine and platter service was exemplary. I know that one is supposed to drink water after such a relaxing massage but the wine and pate was simply just too tempting. Sunday was the second of the Spicer's resorts that I was to visit in two days. Unbeknown to Stephen, Kirstie had arranged for us to have lunch at Spicer's Peak. Lunch was by appointment only and having been so thoroughly spoiled by the entire experience I appreciate the exclusive nature of the rural setting. Its isolation almost as unique as its architecture. As guests we were greeted and warmly welcomed with coffee by the fire place. This was most appropriate after the long drive and the cold outside temperature. Sharlene and Kurt were wonderful hosts. The views cannot be described. One should stand or sit in quiet awe, either on the balcony or snugly behind the enormous glass panels. No talking, let me take in the view. The mountain ranges were remarkable and spectacular in both size and form. The 4WD climb was worth every minute. Lunch was served in the dining room where conversation was again permitted. Each of us at the table commented on every aspect of the resort. The tranquility offered by its very location. The menu was superb. Contemporary Australian cuisine accompanied by specially selected wines but that is not the end of my Spicer's journey as this Wednesday night shall be spent at another of group's resorts but this time the one located in the Hunter Valley in NSW. I've stayed there previously so I can only say that I expect the same level of excellent service at whichever of the Spicer's resorts that we visit. I remember too that each has its own unique features. It is the differences that makes the visits memorable. I look forward to Wednesday.



No comments:

Post a Comment