Monday, January 16, 2012

Repairing The Damage

T'was a few weeks before Christmas and all through the house no other was stirring as I sat at the computer. Rather sensibly, for at 4am most other people in my home are asleep. It had been raining for a while and I could hear a dripping sound. I saw water droplets slowly dropping down from the ceiling and into the open print tray attached to the computer. As you might expect this was a moment in time where I presumed that I had been working too long and thus, was imagining that it was raining inside. No, I watched a little longer and there were indeed water drops dripping from the centre of a circular, damp patch overhead. My OH&S training alerted me to the fact that electrical appliances should never be wet; especially from leaking ceilings. I moved the printer and then pondered if it was too early to advise Stephen of the dilemma. I waited patiently for the sun to rise before telling him of the situation. I am not sure why I then felt the need to venture into other rooms in the house but I did. What I found was mould on carpets in two rooms, water stains on the gyprock walls and ceilings and in the hallway too. It is important to explain that it had been raining for a few days on and off. Paint had bubbled from the walls in giant wafer thin sheets. Further inspection revealed that the tiled roof had decided to absent itself from its weather protection functions. The elements had worn down its resistance and I learnt that tiles have a shelf life. Who knew? Many, many thousands of dollars was required to repair the damage and restore the tiles to their previous waterproof state. The contractor suggested that unless it was urgent then the job could wait until after Christmas. I explained that I had watched one of the lightglobes in the kitchen flash intermittently despite the fact that it was turned off at the switch on the wall. The contractor immediately recognised the urgency but was kind enough to inquire if we had smoke detectors? I then further recounted my trips to the ceiling cavity late one night to place drop trays where water had breached yet more tiles over another bedroom. That was one through the man hole romp that I don't regret making for water was literally pouring into the ceiling space directly into the wiring of light fitting below. I did however, note the need to purchase a torch for future ventures up the ladder and into the dark and dusty roof trusses. Scary up there. That night I fashioned a funnel from Aluminium foil to direct and channel and second leak from a truss that was tracking down the ducting for the air conditioning. The funnel, a clever idea suggested by one at the bottom of the ladder. It worked. My pink washing dish was finally located to stem the flow of water in a third location and then I returned to the world of light hopeful that none of my dam busters would overflow before the roof was repaired. We now have a beautifully restored roof so it was most distressing to find that two of the recently restored paint jobs were once again stained and walls glistening with water tracks. Roof was repaired so what was the issue now? I did not know that there is a tray in the roof space for the ducted air conditioning unit. It was overflowing as the tray had warped over the years and it was a secondary source of destruction. Coincidence that both events occurred simultaneously and the roof was not entirely to blame. Many weeks of painting and rooms are ready to be slept in once again. Carpets shampooed still bare the scars of the event. So perhaps I should enrol in Maintenaqnce 101; if the WEA runs such courses for people such as myself. I am all painted out.

No comments:

Post a Comment