Thursday, November 4, 2010

Fougeres-ser-Bievre

Following the Cave Simoneau stop we headed to Fougeres-ser-Bievre where we came upon an ancient chateau. Unfortunately, it was closed so photo shots were rather limited. However, it was lunch time so we were determined to eat the local cuisine. Only one restaurant was open so the choice was easy. Tentative entry through the doors into the restaurant nearly had our small group make a hasty exit. The decor was interesting to say the least. Quaint is not the correct term to describe the interior nor is the term unusual for neither quite reflect our impressions. Old, traditional perhaps, dated, antiquated, hmmm, homely. None of these suffice. There were home grown tapestries on the walls some depicting dolphins, sea captains, and a lady who had a bird in her hair sitting with a cat. Lots more but too many to describe here in great length. Tables were dressed in floral tablecloths of mauve, yellow and pink hues. Whereas the linen napkins were brown with yellow geometric stitched patterns on one side. We decided against all reason to stay for lunch. The menu was most impressive with offerings of fifty or more choices. Yet when ordering we were advised that they were unavailable today. After a number of unsuccessful attempts we realised that the specials of the day were the only options actually available. Today was my day! My salade turned out to be the best choice on the menu. I can't disclose its name but it came with lots of lettuce, walnuts, goat's cheese, toast, jambon, tomato and dressing. I'll not reveal what the others ordered as you may wish to discover this restaurant for yourself. Some days you just get lucky. By the way. Please don't ask Kirstie about her lunch on this occasion as she is still in therapy. I suggest that the reader double clicks on the shot of the interior to see a full screen image so as to best understand this dining event.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah thanks for this. I needed another glass of wine just to read this entry. I remember that man's face on the wall, it appears in my dreams. I couldn't remember the name of this village for my book and now it is stuck in my memory. I cant believe you remember the colour of the napkins. I cant belive you didn't mention her degree in table setting and dad didn't get a pic of the fabled puzzle room. By the way, it was VERY memorable - sweet and sour duck, Lean Cuisine style

    ReplyDelete